Learn to assess post-stroke depression (PSD).
Geriatric Stroke Patient Follow-Up Visit
Assessment of post-stroke depression (PSD) is a complex task that does not lend itself to a single evaluation tool. Research has shown that a self-administered mood scale or interview-administered questionnaires can identify depressive symptoms.
Recognize and assess post-stroke depression in elderly patients.
- Hackett, ML, Anderson, CS. (2005). Predictors of depression after stroke: A systematic review of observational studies Stroke. 36(10), 2296-2301. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16179565
- Luijendijk HJ. Stricker BH. Wieberdink RG. Koudstaal PJ. Hofman A. Breteler MM. Tiemeier H. (2011). Transient ischemic attack and incident depression. Stroke. 42(7), 1857-61. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21566240
- Mikami K. Jorge RE. Adams HP Jr. Davis PH. Leira EC. Jang M. Robinson RG.(2011) Effect of antidepressants on the course of disability following stroke. American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry. 19(12):1007-15. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21358384
- Andersen G, Vestergaard K Ingemann-Nielsen M, Lauritzen L.(1995). Risk factors for Post-Stroke Depression. Acta Psychiatry. Scand. 92(3), 193-8. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7484197
- Berg, A, Lonnqvist J, Pahomaki H, Kaste M.(2009). Assessment of Depression After Stroke: A Comparison of Different Screening Instruments. Stroke. 40:523-529. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19074478
- Robert PH, Clairet S, Benoit M, Koutaich J, Bertogliati C, Tible O, Caci H, Borg M, Brocker P, Bedoucha P.(2002) The Apathy Inventory: assessment of apathy and awareness in Alzheimer’s disease Parkinson’s disease and Mild cognitive impairment. International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, 17: 1099 – 1105. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12461757
- Hackett ML, Anderson, CS, House A, Halteh C. (2008). Interventions for Preventing Depression After Stroke. Cochrane Database Syst. Rev. July 16 (3) CD003689. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18646094
- Åström M. (1996) Generalized Anxiety Disorder in Stroke Patients: A 3-Year Longitudinal Study. Stroke. 27:270-275. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8571422
Users are free to download and distribute Geriatric Fast Facts for informational, educational, and research purposes only. Citation: Catherine Tsufis, Steven Denson MD, John McGuire MD, Mark Wright MD, Judith Kosasih MD, Bambi Wessel - Fast Fact #2: Assessing Post-Stroke Depression in Elderly. September 2012.
Disclaimer: Geriatric Fast Facts are for informational, educational and research purposes only. Geriatric Fast Facts are not, nor are they intended to be, medical advice. Health care providers should exercise their own independent clinical judgment when diagnosing and treating patients. Some Geriatric Fast Facts cite the use of a product in a dosage, for an indication, or in a manner other than that recommended in the product labeling. Accordingly, the official prescribing information should be consulted before any such product is used.