Review toxic affects of chemo therapy on geriatric patients.
A geriatric patient with cancer, in the outpatient or inpatient clinical setting.
Determine potential chemotherapy toxicities to elderly patients undergoing treatment for cancer.
• List 3 crucial questions to ask when assessing an elderly patients appropriateness for chemotherapy treatment.
• Identify potential toxicities associated with common chemotherapy agents.
- SEER cancer statistics review 1975-2010. National Cancer Institute, http://seer.cancer.gov/csr/1975_2010/.
- Cancer facts and figures 2013. American Cancer Society, http://www.cancer.org/research/cancerfactsstatistics/cancerfactsfigures2...
- Hurria A, Browner IS, Cohen HJ, Denlinger CS. NCCN Guidelines: Senior Adult Oncology. J Natl Compr Canc Netw, 2012; 10:162-209.
- Repetto L. Greater risks of chemotherapy toxicity in elderly patients with cancer. J Support Oncol 2003; 1(suppl 2): 18-24.
- ECOG Common Toxicity Criteria. Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group. Rober Comis MD, Group Chair. http://ecog.dfci.harvard.edu/general/ctc.pdf
- Hurria A, Togawa K, Mohile SG, et al. Predicting chemotherapy toxicity in older adults with cancer: a prospective multicenter study. J Clin Oncol 2011; 29: 3457-3465.
- Sawhney R, Sehl M, Naeim A. Physiologic aspects of aging: impact on cancer management and decision making, part I. Cancer J 2005; 11: 449-460.
- Sehl M, Sawhney R, Naeim A. Physiologic aspects of aging: impact on cancer management and decision making, part II. Cancer J 2005; 11:461-473.
- Lichtman SM, Wildiers H, Chatelut E, et al. International society of geriatric oncology chemotherapy taskforce: evaluation of chemotherapy in older patients-an analysis of the medical literature. J Clin Oncol 2007; 25: 1832-1843.
- Gonsalves W, Ganti AP. Targeted anti-cancer therapy in the elderly. Crit Rev Oncol Hematol 2011; 78: 227-242.
Users are free to download and distribute Geriatric Fast Facts for informational, educational, and research purposes only. Citation: www.mcw.edu/Geriatric-Fast-Facts/index37.htm
Disclaimer: Geriatric Fast Facts are for informational, educational and research purposes only. Geriatric Fast Facts are not, nor are they intended to be, medical advice. Health care providers should exercise their own independent clinical judgment when diagnosing and treating patients. Some Geriatric Fast Facts cite the use of a product in a dosage, for an indication, or in a manner other than that recommended in the product labeling. Accordingly, the official prescribing information should be consulted before any such product is used.