Resources available for facilitating driving cessation.
Elderly patient whom you suspect has impaired driving ability
Evaluate for risk factors for impaired driving and facilitate driving cessation.
- Review the basic medical requirements for safe driving
- Illustrate methods and list available resources for facilitating driving cessation
- Physician’s Guide to Assessing and Counseling Older Drivers. Carr DB, Schwartzberg JG, Manning L, Sempek J. editors. American Medical Association. 2010. http://geriatricscareonline.org/ProductAbstract/physicians-guide-to-assessing-and-counseling-older-drivers/B013
- Carr DB. The Older Adult Driver. Am Fam Physician. 2000; 61:141-146.
- Edwards JD, Bart E, O’Connor ML, Cissell G. Ten Years Down the Road: Predictors of Driving Cessation. The Gerontologist. 2009; 50:393-399.
- Edwards JD, Lunsman M, Perkins M, Rebok GW, Roth DL. Driving Cessation and Health Trajectories in Older Adults. Journal of Gerontology A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2009; 64:1290-1295.
Disclaimer: Geriatric Fast Facts are for informational, educational and research purposes only. Geriatric Fast Facts are not, nor are they intended to be, medical advice. Health care providers should exercise their own independent clinical judgment when diagnosing and treating patients. Some Geriatric Fast Facts cite the use of a product in a dosage, for an indication, or in a manner other than that recommended in the product labeling. Accordingly, the official prescribing information should be consulted before any such product is used.