Frailty assessment of patients at time of ICU admission may be useful in identification of vulnerable elderly patients.
Frail elderly patients who are critically ill.
Assess ICU patients for frailty. Assess ICU patients for frailty.
- Define the frailty syndrome.
- Describe the criteria used to diagnose frailty.
- Use the Clinical Frailty Scale as part of prognostication tools.
- McDermid, R.C., Stelfox, H.T., and Bagshaw, S.M. Frailty in the critically ill: A novel concept. Critical Care. 2011; 15:301. http://ccforum.com/content/15/1/301.
- McDermid, R.C. and Bagshaw, S.M. ICU and critical care outreach for the elderly. Best Practice & Research Clinical Anaesthesiology. 2011; 5:439-449.
- Fried LP, Tangen CM, Walston J, et al. Frailty in older adults: evidence for a phenotype. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2001;56:M146–M156.
- Fried LP. Frailty. Geriatrics Review Syllabus: A Core Curriculum in Geriatrics Medicine. 8th Edition. 2014.
- Bagshaw SM, McDermid RC. The role of frailty in outcomes from critical illness. Curr Opin Crit Care. 2013;19:496–503.
- Rockwood, K., Song, X., Macnight, C., Bergman, H., Hogan, D.B., McDowell, I., and Mitnitski, A. A global clinical measure of fitness and frailty in elderly people. CMAJ. 2005; 173(5):489-495.
- Bagshaw, S.M., Stelfox, H.T., McDermind, R.C., Rolfson, D.B., Tsuyuki, R.T., Baig, N., Artiuch, B., Ibrahim, Q., Stollery, D.E., Rokosh, E., and Majumdar, S.R. Association between frailty and short- and long-term outcomes among critically ill patients: a multicenter prospective cohort study. CMAJ. 2014; 186(2):E95-E102.
Disclaimer: Geriatric Fast Facts are for informational, educational and research purposes only. Geriatric Fast Facts are not, nor are they intended to be, medical advice. Health care providers should exercise their own independent clinical judgment when diagnosing and treating patients. Some Geriatric Fast Facts cite the use of a product in a dosage, for an indication, or in a manner other than that recommended in the product labeling. Accordingly, the official prescribing information should be consulted before any such product is used.