A summary of the risk factors, incidence, and survival associated with intraoperative cardiac arrest.
Patient with DNR orders in peri-operative period
Surgical procedure performed on geriatric patient with previously instituted DNR orders
- Identify the Wisconsin legislation pertaining to patient’s and healthcare provider’s rights in regards to do-not-resuscitate (DNR) orders in the peri-operative period
- Identify the Froedtert Hospital policy regarding DNR orders in the peri-operative period
- Identify the recommendations by American Society of Anesthesiologist and American College of Surgeons regarding DNR orders in the peri-operative period
- Ewanchuk, M and Brindley, PG. (2006). Ethics Review: Perioperative do-not-resuscitate orders-doing ‘nothing’ when ‘something’ can be done. Critical Care. 10(4):219. http://ccforum.com/content/10/4/219. Accessed April 20, 2013.
- Guarisco, KK. (2004). Managing do-not-resuscitate orders in the perianesthesia period. J of PeriAnesthesia Nursing. 19(5): 300-307.
- Ball, KA. (2009). Do-not-resuscitate orders in surgery: Decreasing the confusion. AORN Journal. 89(1): 140-150.
- Girotra, S, Nallanothu, BK, Spertus, JA, Li, Y, Krumholz, HM, and Chan, PS. (2012). Trends in survival after in-hospital cardiac arrest. New England Journal of Medicine. 317: 1912-1920.
- Cohn, S. (2013, April 19). Personal interview.
- Froedtert Health (2010). Do Not Resuscitate DNR (CPM.0063) Milwaukee, WI.
- American Society of Anesthesiologists. (2008). Ethical Guidelines for the Anesthesia Care of Patients with Do-Not-Resuscitate Orders or Other Directives that Limit Treatment.
- American College of Surgeons. Statement on Advance Directives by Patients: "Do Not Resuscitate" in the Operating Room. http://www.facs.org/fellows_info/statements/st-19.html. Accessed March 11, 2013.
Users are free to download and distribute Geriatric Fast Facts for educational purposes only. Citation: Olivia Mac, Robert Biechler, MD, Thomas Ebert, MD, Arthur Derse, MD, JD, Bambi Wessel - Fast Fact #33: Peri-operative management of Do-Not-Resuscitate orders in the state of Wisconsin. May, 2013.
Disclaimer: Geriatric Fast Facts are for informational, educational and research purposes only. Geriatric Fast Facts are not, nor are they intended to be, medical advice. Health care providers should exercise their own independent clinical judgment when diagnosing and treating patients. Some Geriatric Fast Facts cite the use of a product in a dosage, for an indication, or in a manner other than that recommended in the product labeling. Accordingly, the official prescribing information should be consulted before any such product is used.