Identify causes of anesthesia related nerve injury.
Nerve Injuries Associated with Anesthesia
Prevention of nerve injuries in the perioperative period
- Identify the potential causes resulting in anesthesia associated nerve injury.
- Describe the common scenarios associated with nerve injury in the operating room.
- Describe preventative measures correlating to each of the common scenarios.
- Sharma G, Goodwin J. Effect of aging on respiratory system physiology and immunology. Clinical Interventions in Aging. 2006;1 (3): 253-260.
- Janssens JP. Aging of the respiratory system: Impact on pulmonary function tests and adaptation to exertion. Clinics in Chest Medicine. 2005; 26(3): 469-484, vi-vii.
- Choe KH, Kim YT, Shim TS, Lim CM, Lee SD, Koh Y, Kim WS, Kim DS, Ryu JS, Kim WD. Closing volume influences the postural effect on oxygenation in unilateral lung disease. Am J Resp Crit Care Med. 2000; 161: 1957-1962.
- Schubert, A. (2008). Positioning Injuries in Anesthesia: An Update. Advances in Anesthesia. 26:31-66.
- Warner M. (January 7, 2011). Perioperative positioning problems you hope to never encounter. Lecture conducted from Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI.
- Knight DJ, Mahajan RP. Patient positioning in anaesthesia. Continuing Education in Anesthesia, Critical Care and Pain. 2004; 4(5):160-163. Retrieved December 15, 2013 from http://ceaccp.oxfordjournals.org/content/4/5/160
- Rains DD, Rooke GA, Wahl CJ. Pathomechanisms and complications related to patient positioning and anesthesia during shoulder arthroscopy. Arthroscopy 2011;27(4): 532-541. doi: 10.1016/j.arthro.2010.09.008 Epub 2010 Dec. 2 .
- Gerken S. Lateral and Prone Positioning Risks in Orthopaedic Surgery. In AAOS Now. Retrieved December 15, 2013 from http://www.aaos.org/news/aaosnow/feb13/managing9.asp
- Carofino BC, Brogan DM, Kircher MF, Elhassan BT, Spinner RJ, Bishop AT, Shin AY. Iatrogenic nerve injuries during shoulder surgery. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2013 95(10):1667-74.
- Gerken S. Preventing Positioning Injuries: An Anesthesiologist’s Perspectives. In AAOS Now. Retrieved December 15, 2013, from http://www.aaos.org/news/aaosnow/jan13/managing7.asp
- Coppieters MW, Van de Velde M, Stappaerts KH. Positioning in anesthesiology: toward a better understanding of stretch-induced perioperative neuropathies. Anesthesiology. 2002 97(1):75-81.
- Closhen D, Berres M, Werner C, Englehard K, Schramm P. Influence of beach chair position on cerebral oxygen saturation: A Comparison of INVOS and FORE-SIGHT cerebral oximeter. J Neurosurg Anesthesiol. 2013 25(4):414-9. doi: 10.1097/ANA.0b013e3182973349.
- Neligan P. Beachchair and blood pressure. In AnaesthesiaWest. Retrieval December 15, 2013, from http://anaesthesiawest.com/2013/01/24/beachchair-and-blood-pressure/
Author Affiliations: Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Copyright: Users are free to download and distribute Geriatric Fast Facts for informational, educational and research purposes only. Citation: Robert Biechler MD, Kevin Jenner MD, Olivia Mac, Steve Denson, MD - Fast Fact #52: Perioperative nerve injury prevention. October 2014. See Term of Use for additional information.
Disclaimer: Geriatric Fast Facts are for informational, educational and research purposes only. Geriatric Fast Facts are not, nor are they intended to be, medical advice. Health care providers should exercise their own independent clinical judgment when diagnosing and treating patients. Some Geriatric Fast Facts cite the use of a product in a dosage, for an indication, or in a manner other than that recommended in the product labeling. Accordingly, the official prescribing information should be consulted before any such product is used.