Describes the role of radiation therapy in the management of high risk non-metastatic prostate cancer.
Prostate cancer risk increases with age and balancing the risks of treatment with the risks of disease progression presents challenges for providers treating patients with this disease.
Determine best course of treatment for patients with high risk prostate cancer.
Describe the role of radiation therapy in the management of high risk nonmetastatic prostate cancer (any > T3 or any GS 8-10) for geriatric patients
- Ries, LAG, Melbert, D, Krapcho, M, et al. SEER Cancer Statistics Review, 1975–2005. Bethesda, MD: National Cancer Institute, 2008. Available at: http://seer.cancer.gov/csr/1975-2005/NCCN guidelines on prostate cancer, version 2.2014
- Albertsen PC, Hanley JA, Fine J. JAMA 2005 293(17): 2095-2101
- Jnl Urol Vol 177, June 2007:2106-2131
- Lancet 373:301-308,2009
- JCO 31,2013 (suppl16;abstr3)
- IJROBP 61(5),1285-1290,2005
- Lancet 360,103-108,2002
- JCO 26 (15), 2497-2504,2008
- NEJM 360(24),2516-2527,2009
- Urology 72 (2),2008
- JCO 27(1);92-99,1/1/09
- Cancer Vol 112, No 10, 5/15/08,2188-2194
- Critical Reviews in Oncology/Hematology 73(2010)68-91
Copyright: Users are free to download and distribute Geriatric Fast Facts for informational, educational and research purposes only. Citation: Adam Currey MD, Colleen Lawton MD, Steve Denson MD - Fast Fact #51: Radiation Therapy in the Management of High Risk Nonmetastatic Prostate Cancer in the Geriatric Population. October 2014.See Term of Use for additional information.
Disclaimer: Geriatric Fast Facts are for informational, educational and research purposes only. Geriatric Fast Facts are not, nor are they intended to be, medical advice. Health care providers should exercise their own independent clinical judgment when diagnosing and treating patients. Some Geriatric Fast Facts cite the use of a product in a dosage, for an indication, or in a manner other than that recommended in the product labeling. Accordingly, the official prescribing information should be consulted before any such product is used.