Review systemic effects of ocular medications for age related macular degeneration.
Elderly patients being treated or evaluated for common ophthalmic disorders.
Identify common systemic side effects and contraindications for common ophthalmic medications.
To identify systemic complications and contraindications of ophthalmic medications commonly used in the geriatric population.
- Drugs for Some Common Eye Disorders Treatment Guidelines from The Medical Letter 8(89) 2010.
- Lama, PJ Systemic Reactions Associated with Ophthalmic Medications, Ophthalmol Clin N Am 2005(18) 569-584.
- Fraunfelder, FT Drug Induced Ocular Side Effects. Boston: Butterworth-Heinemann. 2001.
- Labetoulle,M, Frau E, LeJeunne C. Systemic adverse effects of topical ocular treatments Presse Med 2005 (34) 589-95.
- Brocklehurst’s textbook of geriatric medicine and gerontology. Philadelphia, PH: Saunders/Elsevier. 2010.
- Havener’s Ocular Pharmacology. St. Louis: Mosby, 1994.
- Goodman and Gilman’s The Pharmacological basis of Therapeutics. New York: McGraw-Hill Medical. 2011.
- Tolentino, M Systemic and Ocular Safety of Intravitreal Anti-VEGF Therapies for Ocular Neovascular Disease Surv Ophthalmol 2011 56(2) 95-113.
- Evans, JR Antioxidant vitamin and mineral supplements for slowing the progression of Age-Related Macular Degeneration Cochrane Review 2006 Apr 19(2).
Users are free to download and distribute Geriatric Fast Facts for instructional, educational, and research purposes only. Citation: Kathryn Barbieri, Jonathan Skarie MD, Cristin Subramanian MD, Bhavna Sheth MD, Edmund Duthie MD, Systemic Effects of Ocular Medications. November 2012.
Disclaimer: Geriatric Fast Facts are for informational, educational and research purposes only. Geriatric Fast Facts are not, nor are they intended to be, medical advice. Health care providers should exercise their own independent clinical judgment when diagnosing and treating patients. Some Geriatric Fast Facts cite the use of a product in a dosage, for an indication, or in a manner other than that recommended in the product labeling. Accordingly, the official prescribing information should be consulted before any such product is used.