Identify and define inappropriate sexual behavior (ISB) in the context of a patient with dementia.
Older adults with dementia, living in the community or in long term care facilities, exhibiting ISB.
Assess and manage ISB in patients with dementia.
Identify and define inappropriate sexual behavior (ISB) in the context of a dementing disorder.
Describe pharmacologic and non-pharmacologic strategies for managing ISB.
1. Joller P, Gupta N, Sitz DP, Frank C, Gibson M, Gill SS. Approach to inappropriate sexual behaviour in people with dementia. Can Fam Physician. 2013; 59:255-60.
2. Bardell A, Lau T, and Federoff JP. Inappropriate sexual behavior in a geriatric population. Int Psychoger. 2011; 23(7):1182-1188.
3. Robinson KM. Understanding hypersexuality: a behavioral disorder in dementia. Home Healthcare Nurse. 2003; 21:43-7.
4. Wick JY, Zanni GR. Disinhibition: clinical challenges in the long-term care facility. Consult Pharm. 2005; 20:1006-18.
5. Ozkan B, Wilkins K, Muralee S, Tampi RR. Pharmacotherpy for inappropriate sexual behaviors in dementia: a systemic review of literature. Am J Alzheimers Dis Other Demen. 2008; 23(4):344-54.
6. Wallace M, Safer M. Hypersexuality among cognitively impaired older adults. Geriatr Nurs. 2009; 30(4):230-7.
7. Di Napoli EA, Breland, GL, and Allen RS. Staff knowledge and perceptions of sexuality and dementia of older adults in nursing homes. J Aging Health. 2013; 25: 1087.
8. Cross B, DeYoung R, Furmaga S. High-dose oral medroxyprogesterone for inappropriate hypersexuality in elderly men with dementia: A case series. Annal Pharmacol. 2013; 47(1):e1.
9. Alagiakrishnan K, Sclater A, Robertson D. Role of cholinesterase inhibitor in the management of sexual aggression in an elderly demented woman. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2003; 51(9):1326.
10. 42 CFR 483 – The Patient’s Bill of Rights. September 1991.
11. Srinivasan S, Wienberg A. Pharmacologic treatment of sexual inappropriateness in long term care residents with dementia. Annals of Long Term Care. 2006 Vol 14(10).
12. Series H, Dégano P. Hypersexuality in dementia. Adv in Psych Treat. 2005; 11:424-31.
13. Mendez M, Shapira J. Hypersexual behavior in frontotemporal dementia: A comparison with early-onset Alzheimer’s disease. Arch Sex Behav. 2013; 42:501-09.
14. Reisberg B, Borenstein J, Salob SP, Ferris SH, Franssen E, Georgotas A. Behavioral symptoms in Alzheimer’s disease: phenomenology and treatment. J Clin Psychiatry. 1987: 48 Suppl:9-15.
Users are free to download and distribute Geriatric Fast Facts for informational, educational and research purposes only. Citation: Alexandrea Bear MD, Sean Marks MD, Steven Denson MD - Fast Fact #53: Inappropriate Sexual Behavior (ISB) and the Dementia Patient. November 2014. See Term of Use for additional information.
Disclaimer: Geriatric Fast Facts are for informational, educational and research purposes only. Geriatric Fast Facts are not, nor are they intended to be, medical advice. Health care providers should exercise their own independent clinical judgment when diagnosing and treating patients. Some Geriatric Fast Facts cite the use of a product in a dosage, for an indication, or in a manner other than that recommended in the product labeling. Accordingly, the official prescribing information should be consulted before any such product is used.