Review frequent impairment and complications of acute stroke.
Geriatric Patient Visit.
Implement an effective post-stroke rehabilitation program to reduce morbidity and mortality associated with stroke.
Define common impairments and complications of stroke.
Identify three functional and/or negative predictors of outcome.
- Roger VL. Go AS. Lloyd-Jones DM. Benjamin EJ. Berry JD. Borden WB. Bravata DM. Dai S. Ford ES. Fox CS. Fullerton HJ. Gillespie C. Hailpern SM. Heit JA. Howard VJ. Kissela BM. Kittner SJ. Lackland DT. Lichtman JH. Lisabeth LD. Makuc DM. Marcus GM. Marelli A. Matchar DB. Moy CS. Mozaffarian D. Mussolino ME. Nichol G. Paynter NP. Soliman EZ. Sorlie PD. Sotoodehnia N. Turan TN. Virani SS. Wong ND. Woo D. Turner MB. American Heart Association Statistics Committee and Stroke Statistics Subcommittee.(2012) Executive summary: heart disease and stroke statistics--2012 update: a report from the American Heart Association. Circulation. 125(1):188-97.
- McGuire JR. (2011) Stroke. Topics in Stroke Rehabilitation. 18(3).
- Brown AW, Schultz BA. (2010) Recovery and rehabilitation after stroke. Semin Neuro. 30(5): 511-7.
- Johnston SC. (2002) Transient Ischemic Attack. NEJM. v347, 1687-92.
- Jongbloed L.(1986) Prediction of function after stroke: A Critical review. Stroke. 17(4):765-76.
Users are free to download and distribute Geriatric Fast Facts for informational, educational, and research purposes only. Citation: Catherine Tsufis, Steven Denson MD, John McGuire MD, Judith Kosasih MD, Bambi Wessel - Fast Fact #3: Geriatric Stroke Impairment & Complications Rehabilitation. September 2012.
Disclaimer: Geriatric Fast Facts are for informational, educational and research purposes only. Geriatric Fast Facts are not, nor are they intended to be, medical advice. Health care providers should exercise their own independent clinical judgment when diagnosing and treating patients. Some Geriatric Fast Facts cite the use of a product in a dosage, for an indication, or in a manner other than that recommended in the product labeling. Accordingly, the official prescribing information should be consulted before any such product is used.